Bathrooms today are a thing of beauty. They can transform you into a spa-like retreat, make you feel like you’re staying in a luxurious hotel or even make you feel like you’ve been teleported into a scene from The Jetsons!
With so many products available in so many designs and styles, choosing products to create the bathroom of your dreams has never been more challenging.
At Ross’s Discount Home Centre, we aim to make bathroom renovations, as well as new bathroom builds, as easy as possible. So today, I’ll start by taking an in-depth look at bathroom cabinets, as they are often the focal point of any bathroom design.
Continue reading to learn what considerations you need to make when choosing a cabinet for your bathroom.
The first thing to consider when choosing a bathroom cabinet is what design style are you trying to achieve in your bathroom?
If you want modern-contemporary, then the cabinet should be minimalistic in design with smooth surfaces and square-set handles. On the other hand, if you want traditional, then the cabinet should embrace this with framed door panels and knob handles.
Type of Cabinet
Next, start thinking about the type of cabinet. There are wall-mounted cabinets, floor-mounted and freestanding cabinets. There are also types of each; vessel, under-mount, and complete vanity units. Thus, considerations also need to be made when selecting a cabinet type.
- Location of plumbing: Your plumbing positioning will likely determine if a wall-mounted or floor-mounted cabinet is best for you. If your plumbing comes up through the floor, then a floor-mounted cabinet is best to conceal this. If your mind is set on a wall-mounted cabinet, you will need to move the plumbing to the wall.
- Practicality and functionality: to create a focal point in the design, or to conceal plumbing and pipes? If it will be used to apply makeup, then a cabinet with a larger benchtop is best.
- Consider your basin also: If you want your basin to stand out as a feature, then a vessel vanity is best. For a minimalistic-look, an under-mount cabinet is the right choice.
Size of Cabinet
Now, consider the size of the cabinet. For this, you need to give thought to various elements also. What is the primary purpose of the cabinet? Is it to provide storage? And, who will be using the cabinet?
- Consider obstacles: To work out how big you can go, look at your bathroom and take note of all obstacles to find the perfect placement; Look at the door swing, flow of traffic and the location of the shower and toilet.
- Storage needs: If you have a large family, then storage should be your main priority. Look for a cabinet that offers enough storage to hold all your bathroom essentials.
With so many bathroom products on the market, each with different styles and designs, designing a bathroom has never been more perplexing. It’s easy to make a poor decision due to being overwhelmed by choice or not knowing enough about the product, or taking into account your household needs.
When choosing bathroom cabinets, consider the following tips to ensure you select the right product for your design and personal requirements; select a style that complements your bathroom design, choose a type that conceals your plumbing and find one large enough for all your storage needs.
Taking these considerations on board, you’ll find the perfect bathroom cabinet, which is the ideal starting point for any bathroom design.
Ready to start shopping for bathroom cabinets in Perth? Look no further than Ross’s Discount Home Centre. We have a wide range of bathroom vanities, vanity tops, bathroom storage units and mirror cabinets available to suit your needs and budget.