A question that many homeowners will ponder at some point in their lives is whether to design their own kitchen or to hire a kitchen designer. If Houzz.com.au’s latest Home Renovation Trend Study is anything to go by, then it seems that taking the DIY approach is a clear winner. Only 11% of homeowners choose to hire a professional kitchen designer or renovator in 2017. However, this is up from 3.3% the previous year, and there are many pros and cons to each choice.
Ross’s Discount Home Centre is known for supporting DIY enthusiasts. But more importantly, we want our customers to be happy with their kitchen, and not everyone has an inner kitchen designer waiting to be unleashed.
While we have tried to make kitchen design as simple as possible through our 3D Kitchen Planner, there are still some basic design principles that should be taken on board to design the perfect kitchen.
If you’re tossing up whether or not you have what it takes to design your own kitchen, continue reading. I discuss the pros and cons of each to help you decide which path is best for you.
Pros of DIY Kitchen Design
- You will save a lot of money
- It can be gratifying if you have an eye for design
- You can design it to be precisely how you want
- You don’t have to worry about a designer miss-understanding your needs
- You can source and shop for your own products
- You are in control of your timeline and budget
Pros of hiring a professional kitchen designer
- They take the responsibility away from the homeowner
- They know how to maximise the use of space to make it more functional
- They know the latest design trends so the end result will be more refined
- They may be to able to source materials at a lower price
- They can produce the best option to increase the value of your home
Cons of DIY Kitchen Design
- It is a time-consuming process
- You will have to manage the project yourself
- You will need to be available when contractors and deliveries arrive
- It can be very stressful if you have no idea about design
- A lack of experience can lead to missed opportunities in design and functionality
Cons of hiring a professional kitchen designer
- They are expensive and unaffordable for many
- They may try and push you into using their preferred suppliers
- They may fail to stick to the budget
Everyone wants that gorgeous kitchen that they see on TV; modern, trendy and everything you have ever wanted a kitchen to be. However, replacing what you have seen on TV or in a magazine or taking the vision you have in your head and bringing that to fruition is a whole different thing. While many have what it takes to design their own kitchen, others opt for a professional kitchen designer.
There are pros and cons to each option. Which you choose really comes down to answering yes to these three questions; 1) do you have time on your hands? 2) do you have an eye for design and 3) do you want to save money? If you answered yes to all three, then DIY is the way to go. If you answered no, then hire a kitchen designer.
If you’re confident you can tackle your own kitchen design, then start by using our 3D Kitchen Planner. And, if you’d prefer to have a professional design your kitchen, then make sure they source the products from our store. Our kitchen cabinets, benchtops and tiles are high in quality, low in price and some of the best in the market.