Are you looking for inspiration on how to make the most of limited space with maximum visual impact? At Ross’s Discount Home Centre, we understand the unique challenges that come with decorating small spaces, whether a kitchen, bathroom, or laundry. That’s why we’re here to help guide you through using subway tiles creatively to create stunning visuals in even the smallest areas.
Subway tiles in Perth are an incredibly versatile choice when it comes to creating a beautiful look in any room or area. Today, we take a deep dive into the realm of small space design as we explore the myriad possibilities of using subway tiles to create stunning visual impact, from layout techniques and colour choices to creative applications in bathrooms and kitchens, all aimed at transforming compact areas into stylish havens of elegance and charm.
Table of Contents
Understanding Small Spaces
At Ross’s Discount Home Centre, we understand the unique challenges that come with decorating small spaces, such as kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms. Limited space can often lead to creative solutions when it comes to achieving maximum visual impact in a small area. Whether you’re looking for a way to spruce up your kitchen or want to make a statement in the bathroom, subway tiles can help you achieve your vision.
Importance of Maximising Visual Impact in Limited Areas
Subway tiles make for an ideal choice when it comes to creating maximum visual impact in limited areas. With their neutral colour palette and classic style, they are an easy way to add a timeless look to any room. It is important to think about layout and colour choices when using subway tiles in order to create the desired effect. For example, pairing light-coloured subway tiles with dark grout lines can help give a space the illusion of being larger than it actually is.
How Subway Tiles in Perth Can Help Overcome Limitations
Subway tiles are also incredibly versatile and can be used in a variety of creative applications to maximise visual impact. From traditional box-shaped designs to unique geometric patterns, there is an endless range of possibilities when it comes to using subway tiles creatively. Furthermore, they come in a wide range of colours and finishes, making them perfect for customising even the smallest and most challenging areas.
Choosing the Right Subway Tiles
You only have to visit our showroom at 57 James Street, Guildford, to realise that choosing subway tiles in Perth is no easy feat. With so many different types and sizes available, it is important to consider the following when selecting subway tiles for small spaces:
- Colour and finish options: Subway tiles in Perth come in a wide array of colours and finishes, from classic white to modern blacks and greys. Choose the one that best suits your design aesthetic.
- Reflectivity and light enhancement: Subway tiles often provide plenty of reflective surfaces which can help brighten up any small space. Consider how the finish and colour of your subway tile will affect the overall look and feel of a room.
- Pattern and layout possibilities: Our subway tile range offers an array of different shapes, from traditional rectangular to square or even hexagonal. Think about which shape will be most eye-catching and create an interesting visual pattern when placed together in a space.
Layout and Patterns for Small Spaces
At Ross’s Discount Home Centre, we understand the importance of creating an impactful look in small spaces. That’s why, when it comes to finding the perfect subway tiles for your project, there are a few tried-and-true layout options that work well:
- Classic horizontal brick pattern: This timeless design is ideal for adding visual interest in any limited area.
- Classic vertical stack pattern: This pattern is great for creating an illusion of height, making a room look taller than it actually is.
- Herringbone pattern: If you’re looking for something with a bit more visual impact, the herringbone pattern is perfect for adding texture and dimension to smaller areas.
- Diagonal layout: Another great way to create a widening effect in limited areas is by laying out your subway tiles diagonally.
- Mirror effect: You can achieve an illusion of space with this clever trick. Simply lay down tiles on one wall, then mirror the same layout on the opposite wall for a dynamic look.
- Different sizes: It may not be an obvious choice, but combining different sizes of subway tiles in the same room can also help create an interesting and eye-catching look.
Colour and Contrast Techniques
In addition to the layout and pattern of your subway tiles, it is also important to consider the impact of colour when creating visual interest in a small space. Adding contrast with grout colours can help bring out the beauty of your subway tiles and add depth and dimension to any area. For example, contrasting grout colour choices such as white with black or light grey with dark grey are perfect for enhancing the look of the subway tiles. Alternatively, if you’re after a more subtle look or want to create the illusion of seamless space, go for monochromatic grout colours such as white on white or black on black.
Creative Applications of Subway Tiles
Once you have chosen the perfect subway tiles for small space, there are a few creative applications that can help make the most of any area. For instance:
- Accent walls and focal points: Whether in your bathroom or kitchen, using subway tiles on an accent wall can create a stunning look that draws attention to certain areas of the room.
- Utilising subway tiles for splashbacks: For a modern and stylish look, use subway tiles to create a unique splashback in your kitchen or laundry.
- Subway tile wainscoting for added elegance: This classic design is perfect for adding an extra layer of sophistication and texture to any room.
Subway Tiles in Small Bathrooms
Subway tiles are an incredibly popular choice for feature walls in bathrooms, with their classic and timeless style able to tie any interior design together. Very much on-trend, using subway tiles in a small bathroom gives the space a modern and polished look. If you want to make a statement, there are many different ways you can use subway tiles in your bathroom renovation. So let’s take a look at these:
- Floor-to-Ceiling Subway Tile Showers: Floor-to-ceiling tiled showers are a great way to make the most of small bathrooms and create an eye-catching feature wall. This can be achieved by combining different subway tile sizes, shapes, and colours for a dynamic and unique look. Just remember, subway tiles require more grout than, say, our 300×600 white wall tiles and therefore will require more maintenance to keep clean and mould-free in the shower.
- Subway Tile Accents in Shower Niches: For an added touch of sophistication, try using subway tile accents in shower niches to create an interesting focal point. This is also a great way to make the most of your limited space by providing extra storage without compromising on style. Using subway tiles in this application is a good alternative to tiling the entire shower, as it will require less maintenance and be easier to clean.
- Subway Tile Ideas for Bathroom Vanities and Sinks: For a contemporary look, use subway tiles to create feature walls around your bathroom vanity. Subway tiles are also a great choice when it comes to updating the vanity area in any space. However, you’ll also want to make sure that your shower is not on the same wall if you want to avoid using subway tiles on your shower walls.
Subway Tiles in Small Kitchens
Perhaps the most popular application for subway tiles in Perth is in the kitchen. With their classic and timeless look, they can be used to create a modern and polished finish around benches, splashbacks, benchtops, and island surrounds. Here are some of the best ideas for using subway tiles in your kitchen:
- Full Splashback with Subway Tiles: For a seamless look that will draw the eye, go for a full splashback with subway tiles. This can be achieved by using a combination of larger and smaller sizes, or even different colours, to achieve the desired effect.
- Partial Splashback for a Budget-Friendly Option: If you’re on a budget but still want to create an impressive kitchen, you can opt for a partial splashback with subway tiles. This will create a stunning focal point without blowing the budget and ensure your kitchen looks modern and sophisticated.
- Creative Use of Subway Tiles in Kitchen Benchtops: If you’re looking for something unique, why not use creative shapes to incorporate subway tiles into your kitchen benchtops? For example, you can use hexagonal or mosaic-style tiles for added texture and depth. While this is a little unorthodox, you can be sure it will create a stunning feature in any kitchen.
Frequently Asked Questions
Creating a visual impact in any space, let alone a small one, can be a daunting task. To help you create the perfect look with subway tiles in your small space, here are some answers to frequently asked questions:
Q. How do subway tiles create a visual impact in small spaces?
Subway tiles are great for creating an eye-catching feature wall in any size space. For small bathrooms or kitchens, combining different sizes and shapes of subway tiles can create a unique look that will make the most of your limited space.
Q. What are the best colour choices for small areas?
When it comes to choosing colours for any size area, you should always consider what kind of atmosphere you want to create. For example, if you are looking for a more relaxing vibe, then pastel shades and whites could be an excellent choice. Alternatively, brighter shades can add vibrancy and energy to any room; just remember to keep the overall scheme balanced by using white subway tiles as accents.
Q. Can subway tiles be used on floors in small spaces?
Yes! Although we don’t recommend subway tiles for floor applications, they will definitely help in creating a visual impact in any small space, giving the illusion of space and light. You can also use darker shades to add depth and contrast, which will help to bring out the features in other areas of your space.
Q. Are there any alternatives to subway tiles for small areas?
While subway tiles remain a classic option, there are plenty of other materials available that would be suitable for smaller areas, such as mosaic tiles, porcelain tiles, or feature tiles. All these options provide variety and durability while still creating an attractive aesthetic.
Q. How can I incorporate subway tiles into a rental space without making permanent changes?
Not really, sorry! If you’re looking for temporary solutions when it comes to decorating a rental space, then you can opt for bathroom wall panels. These work great as an alternative to subway tiles and are perfect for adding colour and texture to your walls without committing to any permanent changes. Best of all, you can install them over your existing tiles.
Q. What grout colour options work best with subway tiles in limited areas?
The beauty of subway tiles is that they tend to look good with any shade of grout; however, it’s best to use lighter shades such as white or light grey if you are working with limited spaces. This will help open up the area and make it appear bigger than it actually is.
Q. Are there any layout patterns to avoid in small spaces?
When laying out your design, it’s best to avoid patterns that are too busy or intricate. Stick to simple layouts such as linear, vertical, or horizontal designs; this will help keep the area looking neat and tidy.
Q. How do I clean and maintain subway tiles in small spaces?
Maintenance of your subway tiles can be quite easy; simply use a damp cloth with warm water and mild detergent to wipe them down regularly. If they become deeply stained, you may need to use a more powerful cleaning agent before wiping them over again with a damp cloth.
Q. How can I make a small space look bigger with subway tiles?
Using lighter colours or neutrals, such as white or cream, is one of the best ways to make a small room appear larger than it actually is. Applying subway tiles horizontally rather than vertically also helps create the illusion of more space while keeping the overall design simple and clutter-free will help open up any area. Mirrors and clever lighting effects can also enhance the atmosphere of a small room.
Subway tiles are an excellent choice for small spaces and, when used correctly, can create a stylish yet functional aesthetic. With so many shape, colour, and layout options to choose from, you can be creative with your design while maximising the visual impact of the space. If you’re in Perth and looking for a reliable subway tile supplier, then look no further.
No matter what design aesthetic you’re going for, Ross’s Discount Home Centre has an extensive range of beautiful subway tiles in Perth to suit any project. Visit our showroom at 57 James Street, Guildford, today and take your pick from the vast array of colours and finishes available. Our experienced staff are more than happy to help you create the perfect look for any small space. We look forward to helping you create your perfect room with subway tiles in Perth!